- 12 oz extra broad noodles (I used No Yolks© Extra Broad Noodles)
- 8 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, cubed
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional- I did not add it)
- Prepare bacon and noodles as directed. separately. Set both aside.
2. In a pot over medium heat, add salsa, broth, cream cheese, mustard, salt and pepper. Cook until smooth.
3. Stir in chicken, bacon, garlic, and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Stir and cook until cheese is melted.
4. Add noodles. Stir and cook until heated through (about 5 minutes).
5. Toss breadcrumbs with oil, remaining cheese, green onions, and jalapeño (I did not add jalapeño)
6. Transfer pasta mix to a greased 9 x 13- inch baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over noodles.
7. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread crumbs are golden brown.
I have to be honest- I’m not normally a huge fan of casseroles. I mean, I have nothing against them, I just typically don’t make them. Lately, though, I realized I don’t usually have left overs…It would be nice (and cost effective) to have a meal ready and waiting for me the next day. So, when I saw this casserole, I figured I’d give it a shot.
I want to eat this everyday for the rest of my life. Seriously.
I thought it was going to be a “chicken noodle SOUP” casserole and, I’m not really a fan of chicken noodle soup so I was a little hesitant. It is NOTHING like chicken noodle SOUP. It has a fantastic, creamy taste with a slight kick! The breading is such a great flavor and texture and then the added green onions- YUM!
One of the big tests for me is how does it taste the next day? It. Tastes. Amazing. I’m not proud of this- but I had this for lunch and dinner…. (Actually, I am totally proud of it- I’m embracing the deliciousness of it!!)