- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2- inch dice
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 yellow squash, cut into 1/2- inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon, salt
- 1/2 teaspoon, pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tomatoes, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 ounces tiny shrimp (you can use canned shrimp- drain and rinse first)
- 1 10- ounce box couscous
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Goat cheese crumbles, optional
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, eggplant, zucchini, squash. Cook until vegetables have softened- stirring occasionally.
2. Add garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Sauté another minute.
3. Add tomatoes and cook 5 more minutes.
4. Stir in shrimp.
5. Prepare couscous according to package OR substitute 2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth for salted water.
6. Plate couscous and then the shrimp mixture on top. Sprinkle with parsley and goat cheese, if desired. Serve.
This might come as a surprise to some people (and other people might be like me…) But, until very recently, I had NEVER had couscous! I. Love. It. So, when I saw this recipe, I HAD to try it!
I REALLY like this dish- for quite a few reasons! 1.) Couscous. I feel like that is enough of a reason. 2.) My husbands step-mom is Russian and makes this delicious eggplant, squash, zucchini dish that I love but haven’t been able to replicate. This has many of the same flavors! Yum! 3.) I believe that shrimp tastes fantastic anytime any place- it’s easily one of my favorite foods.
One of the biggest reasons to love it? It is so easy! If you can chop veggies, then you can make this. I also really like how versatile it is. I think I added to much eggplant (is that possible?!) but that’s okay! You can add more or less of the veggies or just add completely new veggies. Also, I topped mine with parsley and goat cheese, but there are so many other things I can think of that would be good on top!
I do wish I had added more shrimp (again- one of my favorite foods…), but other than that, I was very pleased with how it turned out!
Oh! It makes quite about to (about 8 servings) so it’s great for company.