- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef sirloin
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups beef flavored broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (20 oz) refrigerated mashed potatoes
- Heat oven to 375°.
2. In a 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion in oil, until soft.
3. Add beef, until browned and fully cooked. Drain.
4. Add mixed Veggies, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat (about 5 minutes) stirring frequently, until veggies are hot.
(Fun fact: I accidentally used tomato sauce. I had the tomato paste in my hand and then saw a larger can and thought” Duh, that’s a better deal!”… Didn’t even double check the label….Oops)
5. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and broth.
6. Add broth mix to skillet. Heat to boiling; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick.
7. Spray 11 x 7- inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon beef mixture into baking dish.
8. Fluff mashed potatoes and then spread over beef mixture.
9. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
There are quite a few things I love about this recipe. 1). Frozen veggies and refrigerated mashed potatoes?! How much easier can you get??? I’m sure it would still be delicious and easy to use fresh ingredients, but for a quick weeknight dinner- this can’t get much simpler. 2). It’s a great comfort food! It’s tasty and filling and the whole family enjoyed it! 3). It’s versatile! While it is certainly good as is, my husband and I added cheese and hot sauce to it. My son added ketchup (he puts ketchup on everything…but apparently it was good that way). And my daughter just liked it plain. So- just have fun with it!