- Baked pie crust
- 1 1/2 quart (2 lbs) strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 . Prepare baked pie crust.
2. Mash enough strawberries to measure 1 cup.
3. Mix cornstarch and sugar in a 2 quart saucepan.
4. Gradually stir in water and mashed strawberries.
5. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool.
6. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese until smooth (I used the soft cream cheese- not the block…worked just fine). Spread in pie shell and fill shell with remaining strawberries.
7. Pour cooked strawberry mixture over top.
8. Refrigerate about 3 hours or until set.
This is- hands down- my favorite dessert. In fact, when I lived close to my parents, my mom would make this as my birthday “cake”. It has such a fresh yet candy-like flavor! My only problem with it is that it doesn’t last long enough because everyone eats it to quickly!
One thing I will say about this, those 3 hours in the fridge? Yea, those are important. The last picture I included wasn’t quite 3 hours and- while still delicious- had not set like it’s supposed to. So, just keep that in mind when you make it.
Sometimes my mom will put fresh blueberries on top. Others will put whipped cream on top. I, personally, think it’s perfect as it is!